Aerial Lift Decals 101
Aerial lifts serve a critical purpose on most construction sites. Whether you’re building a house or repairing a telephone line, it’s likely you’ll be using an aerial lift to get the job done. Perhaps you enjoy rising to great heights by the power of this machinery, or maybe you get butterflies in your stomach and want nothing more than to be standing on firm ground again. Regardless, it’s important that you take necessary safety precautions before making the ascent – and decals are a great way to keep aerial lift users aware of these important safeguards.
So what exactly is a decal? When it comes to aerial lifts, decals are the sticker signs you find positioned on a lift listing its correct usage guidelines and safety measures. The American National Standards Institute defines machinery manufacturers’ placement of decals – but it’s up to the lift owner to ensure these decals are kept legible and visible. If dirt or markings cover any information on the decal, it’s important to clean or replace them. Use mild soap and water for cleaning, and be sure to avoid solvent-based cleaners as these may damage the sign material.
Here at Aerial Equipment Parts, we carry the most important safety decals specific to top lift manufacturers Skyjack, JLG and Genie. These include the following:
- Instruction decals: Marked by a green header, instruction decals provide how-to information.
- Notice decals: Also marked by a green header, these decals show property damage information.
- Warning decals: Marked by an orange header, warning decals to indicate scenarios that could lead to serious injury or death.
- Danger decals: Designated by a red header, these decals indicate situations that could also result in serious injury or death.
- Miscellaneous decals: Covering a range of information from lanyard attachment placement to tire load, miscellaneous decals can vary for different applications.
It may be easy to skim over these stickers without really taking in the information – but that’s exactly what you don’t want to do. Reading through and understanding the information on safety decals is compulsory to operate an aerial lift. Encourage lift operators to read through this information by placing them in highly visible, accessible spaces on your lift.
Decal stickers are a great way to remind lift operators of safety and usage precautions each time they drive a lift – however, they are no substitute for thorough training and certification. Make sure operators are properly educated to reduce the risk of injury, or worse.
Keep your operations smooth and safe with the right decals. They’re easy to implement and available at very little cost. If you’re not sure which decals are right for your machinery, feel free to reach out to us here at Aerial Equipment Parts for input from industry professionals.